Jul 30, 2010

Around Port Douglas

This morning, as usual, I was awake quite early. The night had been only down to about 22.5 degrees. So I slept a bit fitfully and may have to get used to it as I go further north. It is nicer than waking to the cold which a few people are currently in way down south in the snow.

About 6.50, I set off to cycle around Port Douglas. It is not a big town but it is really nice and easy to get around. There are a few old buildings especially in close proximity to the CBD.

My track from the Caravan Park took me towards the Captain Cook Highway that I came in on yesterday and went to Mossman Gorge on. There are some lovely homes along the way and not very old. All the while I was passing by various resorts and two Golf courses that were very well maintained and the layouts look incredible.

Some of this area developed due the late and infamous Christopher Skase. His vision was certainly correct but as we know his manner of doing so was not at all ethical. Any way the town has gone on without him and his damaged investors have continued on the best they could.

All the streets are leafy and cool looking and the building blocks appear to be of a reasonable size. There are a lot of flats, apartments, motels and camping areas. To complement all this there are so many shops of almost anything imaginable.

On my way around, I found where Susanne and Rocky were married last year. It was not hard to find and is a beautiful location.

After the ride, I returned to the Karavan dripping with perspiration so I had to do some stretches and cool down. Lots of water and time and soon I was able to have a shower.

Now it was time to visit the town and have a muggacino at Java Blue where I did yesterday. I took it slowly reading up on my future travels north. The street was busy as it was about 1030.

As my back is till causing me problems I went to the Natural Therapy Day Spa Centre and had a 1 hour remedial massage from a young Japanese lady. She did a good job and I felt she knew what she was doing. I have felt a bit of relief again. Thankfully, my back does not worry me cycling. I think I may have caused problems doing the stabiliser legs on the Karavan.

By now it was lunch time so I returned to the Caravan Park and had a light lunch. During the part of the afternoon after lunch, I did a tidy up and then sat and read a book, until I had a little snooze in the chair.

Then back to Marina Mirage for an afternoon coffee and a relax watching the yachts and boats returning to the Marina after trips off shore. Then I went to get some photos of Four Mile Beach in the later afternoon. I might even go for a swim tomorrow after my bike ride to cool down. There is permanent Lifeguard presence to save tourists from harm.

So I will have an early evening and some reading. Another day in Paradise!


No comments: