Jul 6, 2010

Forest Glen to Woodgate

This morning arrived as a bit of a dewy morning, everything damp especially after some evening rain.

I had an issue with the mobile phone. In hindsight it may have had some moisture in it as after removing the battery I found some there. I wiped everything and sat it near the stove top. Now it appears to be fine, thankfully.

After breakfast, I then liesurely packed everyhting up and packed the Karavan away. Everything being damp required me to wipe it down before it was stowed.

My first stop was the Ginger Factory at Yandina. I had been here several times before over the past 9 years. As I am a ginger addict, I bought some ginger products. Hopefully, enough to get me to the top and back again. While here I wandered around the grounds soaking up the atmosphere of the rain forest through which the little ginger train passes.  I browsed through the little shops in the complex. It is a must stop for a ginger consumer.

While in Yandina, I  visited Nutworks. This is a Macadamia nut processing factory that has not only plain macadamias but also macadamias coated in many things including such things as chocolate and chilli. It is a great place to visit besides its free samples.

Finally, it was time for a muggacino. My first for the day at about 11 am! It was a  visit to the Pioneer Coffee Roastery. While waiting for my coffee, I was able to watch the staff roast their coffee. It is an exacting process to do it correctly. I can assure you that it was worth having a nice brewly roasted coffee.

Soon it was time to leave for Gympie. On the way, I stopped and had lunch at a rest stop that was well attended by travellers from all over. As usual there were some people that were intrigued by the Kimberley Karavan. It does tend to attract people. 
After lunch, I drove  a short distance to the Gympie Museum, I spent some time looking at the large variety of exhibits. One building was showing where a former Prime Minister, Andrew Fischer, lived his younger life. He represented the area and the house on display was originally owned by his parents in law. There were many exhibits relating to the gold mining in the area as well as the rural industries. So much is done by volunteers to keep these places going.

Then it was on the road to Woodgate via Childers on the infamous Bruce Highway. After passing various small locations the traffic suddenly stopped. The UHF radio was working hard as the transport drivers were alerting each other that the road was partially blocked due to  a car "feeling tired and falling off the road ", in other words a car had run off the road and overturned. There was about a 30 minute delay.

After that hold up, it was plain easy driving to Woodgate after passing through Childers. Eventually, I arrived at the home of Colin and Helen. After parking the Karavan in their garden, Colin took me for a drive around the most stunning small town of Woodgate. It is right on the ocean and so lovely. as it is surrounded by national park and cannot grow much more. There are numerous homes that would fetch more than $1 million as they all face the beach with Fraser Island faintly visible in the distance.

After setting up the Karavan it was time for drinks and a wonderful dinner provided by Colin and Helen. Sadly, they have recently sold their Kimberley Karavan however I am sure our friendship will last  a long time regardless.
















No comments: