Jul 19, 2010

Ingham area

Today I left Townsville behind. I have enjoyed my visit not only because I have met up with people I know but also because I really enjoyed the time in the city. It has grabbed my heart.

After packing up the Karavan, I returned the keys to the Park operators and received my refund. It was 0844 so traffic was building up on the roads. Peak hour Townsville style which apparently lasts only a short time but is hectic while on. As I was heading roughly to the north, I missed most of it except the first roundabout on the highway where I had to cross the city bound traffic.

Eventually, I had made my way out of the city and past the turn off to Baf and Sharon’s home at Bushland Beach. The further I went the less the traffic volume until by about Rollingstone it was very normal Bruce Highway traffic.

As time progressed, I passed by various turn offs to such locations as Balgal Beach and Toomulla Beach. After about one hour, I reach my first planned stop for the day, “Frosty Mango”. It had great coffee for a start and as I felt as though I had been behaving with food it was time for something different. So I had mango yoghurt in a cone topped with lovely mint yoghurt. While there, I purchased a bottle of Mango and Chilli sauce. I used some for dinner tonight.

After arriving at the Palm Tree Caravan Park just outside of Ingham, I quickly booked in and unhitched the Karavan.

My destination that I really wanted to get to. was the Wallaman Falls. They are about 50 kms west of Ingham. They are reputed to be Australia’s longest sheer drop waterfall that spills about 305 metres into a sparkling natural pool. They are stunningly beautiful and are well presented. The road to the Falls is mostly sealed although there was about 6 kms of gravel. It is a very popular destination. I had a lunch snack there.

While there I spoke to a couple, Gary and Kate who were delightful, from Sydney who was on their way to Cairns after visiting Adele’s Grove at Lawn Hill. They were enthusiastic about that area and that is where the Kimberley Karavan Owners Group is having the National gathering in early September. 

I returned to Ingham and had a look around the town which is mainly a service centre for the predominately sugar area but also cattle in the higher areas. It has a strong Italian link with many businesses named accordingly and lots of residents have Italian heritage. This is quite evident with the names of shops and other businesses.

While driving around I decided to refuel and while doing so bumped into Arthur and Felicity from Grafton. I had a lot to do with Arthur when I was working and saw then both only a few weeks ago in Ballina at Arthur's sister's Pelican 181. I wonder who is to be the next unexpected person I will bump into, especially after Mal and Cathy at Airlie Beach?

It also means there is nice coffee served. I had to have another cappuccino which was really nice. It was made in a deli’. As I was finishing, Gary and Kate caught up with me for more of a chat with information on the Atherton Tablelands and suggested places to visit.

A visit to the Tyto Wetlands Information Centre for more information and a quick look at their display. It is very well done and describes what has been done by the community.
I returned to the Caravan Park to find the owners had been farmers in the Clermont District of Central Queensland. Craig and I found that we had both owned the same type of planter, Rogro. We both agreed we were better off away from the farming and have a more relaxed lifestyle compared to the worry of lack of income from farming. 

So, all that was left was to cook up a storm for dinner. No, quite simple using some nice vegetable that I bought in Townsville and some ham. 

So that completed my second week on the road and about 1755 kms.

No comments: