Jul 29, 2010

To and Around Port Douglas

As the Willie Nelson song went “On the road again”. Today was only a very short trip to the resort town of Port Douglas.

The trip along was on a very windy and not too wide road but the scenery was stunning nonetheless. I stopped several times to get some photos. Quite a lot of traffic uses this road.

Soon I was in Port Douglas and was very lucky that the site I booked was free. I was very early to get in, 0930. So by about 1030 I was all set up and it was time for a drive around the town.

On the way around I saw Marina Mirage, Rydges and numerous other up market destinations along with the magnificent golf courses I passed by. This is a real resort town and I believe some of the others I have passed through are only pretenders. I am sure they would not appreciate that. It is very up market and appeals to me.

I went to the Tourist Information Centre and received some great information not only for here but also for the days ahead. Most helpful and even pointed me to a very nice Cafe, Java Blue. Muggacino and raison toast which has not happened a lot so far.



After that, I set off for Mossman Gorge. A visit there is very worthwhile and I am sure that half Australia was there by the crowd but I think it was more the fine and hot day that brought everyone out. There a fantastic rapids there and a heck of a lot of water passing by. Some people were even swimming but said the water was a little cool.

Soon it was time to return to Mossman and do a drive around the sugar service town with a big sugar mill. Then a short drive back to the Caravan Park and a late lunch.

After having the new battery fitted yesterday, a warning light was on all the time. After a chat to my service man in Ballina, I had a good look and found two wires were not on the right terminals. So a quick change over and test and all is good again. While I was in the service mood, I also fixed up a slightly warn Anderson plug terminal that put power into the Karavan while hooked up to the Bravo. Those little items took about an hour to sort out.

Then down to the shops to get a stock up on groceries and the prices seem to be the same as most places. I am building up the supplies before I go to the top. While in the CBD I had a coffee at the Coffee Club which was fine, too.

Then back to the Caravan Park and a bit of quiet time and sorting the groceries.

So ends another day in Far North Queensland.




No comments: