Jul 24, 2010

On the way to Lake Tinaroo

Today was a moving day again with the final destination to be Lake Tinaroo on the Atherton Tablelands to join with fellow Kimberley Karavan owners.

Packing up was, as usual, quite fast and with no rain around made it even better. At least everything was not wet.

My first stop was in Innisfail only about 40 kms north of where I had been staying. After locating a good area to park, I went for a walk to discover some of the old buildings. Among the buildings was the wonderful looking Catholic Church. Other interesting buildings included the Shire Hall. One particular building was the Chinese Joss House.

The Joss house is very old and well maintained by the Chinese community. It was used to not only worship in but at the rear were rooms that less fortunate Chinese men could live.

While in Innisfail, I found Oliveri’s Deli’ that had been recommended to me as a great place for a cappuccino. This was correct. This Deli’ has been run by the same family for more than 100 years and they obviously have a very busy business.

As I left Innisfail, I refuelled the Bravo and decided to see how much diesel I had used for the stove. Since leaving home and using the stove each day it had only consume 1 litre. I found that to be excellent.

As I made my way, I marvelled at the beautiful farm land and scenery that was passing by. It is so lush and green and also looks very fertile although there must be fertiliser used to help. By the way the misty and foggy atmosphere was apparent, it is no wonder it is so green. I remember my Father saying how much he enjoyed the area when he returned from the Middle East and was retraining before going to New Guinea and Borneo during the Second World War. I have noticed various signs indicating a particular military branch was there. My plan is to return to this area later in August for a thorough look around up here.

On the way, I stopped at the Mungalli Creek Dairy. It has not only great coffee but also nice cheeses produced in their own facility. It is a very busy location even being on a short off road drive. It is a bio dynamic run farm and also uses milk from similar farms nearby.
I continued on my drive, after some steep climbs and descents, eventually passing through the town of Atherton. It looks like a service town for the area. A variety of agricultural pursuits are evident in the area. Soon I arrived at the location beside the dam. It has a lovely outlook. 

I was greeted by familiar faces, Kay and Ian as well as Trevor and Di, along with the organisers, Mike and Joan. There are people and 9 KKs here from as far away as Western Australia and a large number from this area. There were also several couples without their KKs as either they were only doing a quick visit or were awaiting the arrival of their KK.

We had a great afternoon and evening of chat and getting to know each other. Some have only been names on the KK Owners Group website but are now familiar. Sadly, the day has been misty showers but so light one has to look hard to see it. A wonderful friendly day.

No comments: