Jul 21, 2010

A trip to Mission Beach

After waking up at some unreasonable hour, due to my back feeling uncomfortable, I listened to radio while lying flat and doing some stretches to attempt to work my back better. Not a lot of improvement. 

After breakfast, I decided I would attempt a bike ride. My bike riding has been lacking since I left home and felt it was time to go for a ride. Thankfully, the ride did not aggravate my back or for that matter improve it. I rode from the Caravan Park towards the Bruce Highway and across it to the village of Silkwood. The ride was not dissimilar to a Wardell ride in that it was flat and the wind seemed to get me both ways. My round trip was 30 kms and I am pleased to skite that I managed to average 27 km/hr. 

On return it was time for a shower and hang out some washing. Soon this was all done and I prepared to go for a drive to Mission Beach and its surrounding communities.

I had to go there by way of a short stretch of the Bruce Highway. I drove along through the cane fields initially. Closer to the coast there is quite a bit of National Park. It is home to cassowaries and I was fortunate to see one as I passed by. It is quite a colourful bird with its colour mainly around its neck.

I drove through Mission Beach village and observed numerous lovely homes and some small resorts. It is a fairly laid back area. Everything is easy going but tidy. I did a large circuit driving in a northerly area towards Bingil Bay. After the developing areas the road weaves its way through agricultural land that has bananas and pineapples growing along with some beef cattle grazing. Eventually, I returned back into Mission Beach and found a nice coffees shop where I had a reasonable cappuccino.

Afterwards, I then drove in a southerly direction passing through Wongaling Beach and finishing at South Mission Beach. On the way I passed by where the water taxi takes people across to Dunk Island. I opted not to go as the weather was miserable due to light rain and some breeze. It was enough to have the windscreen wipers on most of the time. On the way back towards Mission Beach, I stopped at the shopping centre to pick up some bread and a magazine.

Then I returned to the Caravan Park. It was becoming quite wet and an umbrella was required to move around. Later, after lunch, I went to the Hotel to have a coffee but it was a shocker. It had the slightly burnt coffee taste. I did have a very good one there last night but it was a different operator.

During the afternoon, as it was so wet, I organised my parking spots up until about August 10. Some parks are booked out and one I have to opt for an unpowered site. There are full parks everywhere but I am hearing as we go up to the Cape that it is a bit quieter.

So that was it for today and I hope the rain goes elsewhere so I can ride again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Duncan,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Mission Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane