Jul 7, 2010

Woodgate to Bororen


So far on this trip, my mornings are not a rush, in fact I am actually not getting moving until about 9.00 am. I suppose it is a holiday type trip, so why rush.
After leaving Colin and Helen, who were such lovely hosts, I slowly drove along to get to Bundaberg where my priority was to be the Hinkler Hall of Aviation.
As I left Woodgate, I travelled through a variety of land and its uses. Firstly, it was former farm land being developed for residential areas. I must say it is not the most fertile looking soil. Some of it was quite heavily timbered in places. Then I came upon more open land that was growing sugar cane that appears to be a different variety to that grown on the North Coast of NSW. Closer to Bundaberg it was competing with more horticultural type crops such as strawberries and various vegetables. As I have been in Bundaberg before, this encouraged me to bypass it. I could see in the distance the stack of the Bundaberg Rum distillery. I could still remember the smells of that visit some years ago.
Eventually I arrived at the Hinkler Hall of Aviation which is located in the grounds of the Bundaberg Botanic Gardens.  This is a new addition to the Botanic Gardens. Previously, I visited the home of Hinkler that was dismantled in England and transported and re-erected here. The Gardens look so nice and again I remember a previous visit.
Bert Hinkler was an amazing aviator who sadly died at the young age of 40 years attempting another solo flight to Australia in 1933 when he crashed in Italy. He is buried in Florence and was given a massive funeral by the Mussolini Government who respected his attempts.
 Hinkler built several gliders in his youth which led to his major involvement in aviation. He was born in Bundaberg in 1892. In late 1913, he went to England, which was fast becoming the leader of aviation in England. Initially he worked for the Sopwith Company before serving in World War I and receiving the Distinguished Service Medal. He joined A V Roe & Co., and became their test pilot. He had a wonderful mechanical knowledge as well as understanding the design process and was able to assist in improvements in the aircraft.  He created many early aviation records including the world’s first solo flight across the South Atlantic in 1931.
I highly recommend the Hinkler Hall of Aviation to visit. It has many audio visual displays as well as much written work along with five aircraft that were common in that time. As it was time for a coffee, I went to Café 1928 which is a large and very comfortable location. Unfortunately, I had the worst cappuccino of this trip. It was so bad that I did not finish what is normally my favourite drink.
I then refuelled the Bravo as well as topped up the diesel tank on the Kimberley Karavan which runs the cook top and water heater, when needed. The price was a little cheaper than when I filled up in Lennox Head before I left.
My next stint of driving took me to the twin towns of Agnes Water and Town of 1770. They are both on the coast about 124 kms north of Bundaberg. The drive took me through timber and farm land as well as through several small villages. I had thoughts of staying in the area but when I saw the crowds in the Caravan Parks I decided that it was not for me. It is very pretty and obviously very popular. There seemed to be a lot of people fishing and going out on charters to fish. There are many beautiful homes and cottages along with various apartments and flats. Also, I noticed a large apartment block that must have gone into financial meltdown as the building has not been completed and stood looking quite neglected. So after a look around, I moved on.
My route back tracked me for about 22 kms to an intersection that allowed me to turn north again.  I turned toward Miriam Vale which I passed though. It did not look a very big town but more of a service centre.  Here I rejoined the Bruce Highway that I had really left at Childers yesterday. I did briefly travel on it just outside Bundaberg before going to the coast.
My day ended at the tiny village of Bororen. It is about 50 kms south of Gladstone. At least the Caravan Park is not overflowing although it appears to be full. It is clean and tidy. I had looked for a free camp but to no avail. They are a bit scarce around here especially as the roadsides are fenced off and there are no real camp areas. There will be plenty later on.
So that was my day. I had a plain but nutritious meal and after consuming almost a bottle of red last night decided it would be a ‘dry’night!

No comments: