Jul 28, 2010

Last day around Cairns

This morning I actually went for a short but intense and hilly ride on my bike. I travelled to the Barron Gorge Power Station some kilometres from the Caravan Park. I passed a few people walking and running and also cycling. It is obviously a popular track. The hills were short and steep and brought up my heart rate. It was good to get out but I discovered that a pedal bearing was on the wane and would require replacement.

It seems it is time for replacements. I noticed yesterday that the auxiliary battery was not keeping the freezer on the back of the Bravo going for all day or more. One of my first destinations this morning was to Battery World to get a deep cycle battery. The fellow there checked the existing battery and I even saw that it was down considerably. It was a start type battery that was 3 years old and was not holding as much as half its capacity. So I decided to change it to a deep cycle battery that is more suited to running a fridge/freezer. A few cables were relocated and a small modification made to the battery tray and the battery was fitted safely.

While attending to the battery, Ian and Kay turned up and went shopping nearby for some items they needed. As soon as I was finished, we travelled to the Marina Car park in Cairns near the CBD. We found a lovely and pleasant cafe and sat and chatted for several hours. During this time, we consumed morning tea and later we had a simple lunch of toasted sandwiches along with more coffees.

Finally, it was time to say farewell to Ian and Kay as we all had things to do. They set off on the return to Tinaroo. Meanwhile I went to a bike shop to purchase a set of new cleated pedals to replace the ones on the Giant mountain bike. On the way, I had to get a prescription filled at a Chemist. Eventually, I was finished with the collecting of items and returned to the Lake Placid Caravan Park.

Once back in the Caravan Park, I did some washing and drying of clothes. It has been quite humid and up to about 33 degrees in the Karavan. So there is a need for regular washing. It may become a little more slack going up the Cape but will either do it as soon as possible or as conditions allow.

As tonight is my final night here, I have commenced packing some items away to allow an orderly departure tomorrow. During all this I have chatted with various fellow travellers that are parked near me.

So has ended a much warmer and somewhat humid day in Cairns. Maybe it will be different in some way in about 3 weeks when I may return. I will view more of the city and its tourist locations when I return about election time.

No comments: