Jul 31, 2010

Last day in Port Douglas

No photos today.

This morning, after a hot and restless night, I was awake early. Suspecting that this would occur, I had made provision to have breakfast with little noise as my neighbours are quite close.
After breakfast, I went for a nice cycle tour around the town and its extended boundary. I found an industrial area and where to get discount fuel. I was out for over an hour and dripping with perspiration when I arrived back at the Karavan. So I did a few things around the Karavan as I cooled down before a shower.

Once I was showered and hung out the ride clothes to dry after a wash, I went into the CBD to Java Blue again for coffee and raison toast followedby another coffee. While there I read up on places I should visit on my way to Cooktown by the coastal route, Bloomfield Road, from Port Douglas via Cape Tribulation. Apparently, I am in for some stunning scenery.

Then returned to the Caravan Park where  I sat and read a book I am reading, Peter FitzSimons "A Simpler Life". It is a memoir of his life. Peter has the dubious honour of being the only Wallaby Rugby player sent off playing against the New Zealand All Blacks. It has been highly commended in numerous magazines and I have almost finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is very easy to read.
So that happened a bit today, along with a little snooze after lunch. Then to town again for a coffee and then to the Shell Service Station on the highway where the price is discounted. I refuelled and up to date the Bravo has averaged 16.46 litres per 100 kms. It has been consistent around this usage. It will be interesting to see where it is by the time I get back to Cairns in mid August.

I hooked up the Bravo to the Karavan to run it for a while and charge the Karavan batteries up a little to ensure I have no problem watching the Wallabies play the All Balcks in Melbourne to night. I have some Rugby fans from New Zealand right next to me. Chris and Sharon who are from farming backgrounds. Both have lost partners over the past 10 years and have 3 sons each. Chris has retired from farming and only one son in agriculture while Sharon has sons still in it. They plan to watch the game with me.

The next post will be from Cooktown.

1 comment:

Julia kelly said...

Hi Duncan, you needn't have bothered charging up the batteries for the Rugby. What a woeful game. Vinnie was in a state of depression. Cold & bleak here in Alice. We're off to the West McDonnell ranges tomorrow.
Safe travelling. Vince & Julia