Aug 26, 2010

Around Atherton

Today I started the day, after breakfast, with a bike ride up the Herberton Range which I am told rises from where I am staying to the top of over 400 metres in about 7 kms. That managed to get my heart rate up. On descent, I took a road that went to the east and eventually that brought me back into Atherton and finally back to the Caravan Park.

After writing the blog last night, I had a text from my former agronomist, Paul, advising me he and Robyn were in Atherton. I called to discover that we were only 50 metres apart and had not realised we were all here. Along with them is Graham and Glynis. I have known Graham since 1964. Last night I sat and chatted with Paul and Robyn for about an hour then off to bed. This morning I caught up with the other couple.
After a muggacino I went to visit a friend on a farm near Yungaburra. I had not seen Geoff for a few years let alone visit his farm before. What a lovely location with views of mountains almost from every window. I have a great time with him. One thing I did was stand on his scales and realised I have not put on any weight, yet! He assures me the scales are very accurate as his wife is a Doctor. 

After leaving Geoff and his farm, I returned to the Rocky Creek Memorial Park especially to take some photos for an old friend, Hod, from Coonabarabran. He told me he , like my father had been in the area during the Second World War. I located, I think, the correct memorial stones relating to his Unit. I also located some other remnants of the time such as a hospital ward concrete floor and the entertainment hut. There are a lot of relics still about although development is creeping over the areas.

Next I visited the Tolga Railway Museum. It is only small but it has a lot of items from the long and more recent past. While there the volunteer looking after the museum was full of interesting information.

My next stop was the IGA supermarket to get a few minor items. It is not as big as the one in Ballina but more than adequate. I had another coffee at Coffee Club before returning to the Caravan Park. 

Soon it was happy hour, or two, with the two couples, Paul and Robyn, Graham and Glynis. How nice it was to chat about people and families I know. So interesting hearing the local new after having left the Gunnedah area more than 14 years ago. They are all here for a few more days. 

Then it was time for a light dinner following a good nibble during happy hour.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Always a concern putting on weight when on a trip, especially when you can't stick to your usual exercise regimen. Good on you.
Also good to know there are so many interesting things to see around that area of Qld.