Aug 10, 2010

A quiet day around the Bamaga area

This morning was a relatively easy morning but it was time to service the Bravo and Karavan. So on with the good old blue overalls and out with the grease gun. It is never much fun greasing these vehicles but to minimise damage it is obviously important to do so. While greasing it is a good time to just check for any damage or loose fttings. Thankfully everything appeaars to be in its correct place. Next item to be done was to check all the wheel nuts for tightness and again all is fine.
The next job I did was to construct a window protector for the rear of the Bravo. My previously cutout rubber was stolen at the Tip the other day. SO I have made it out of some wooden blocks, shadecloth, 100 mile an hour tape and 3 occy straps. It can be seen in the photo with all the blue tape all over. It should prevent stones from hitting the glass after bouncing from the Karavan.

The rest of the morning saw me doing some washing especially the clothes I had been wearing under my overalls as they were damp from perspiration. Also, chatted to various fellow travellers and read my book "War Torn" by Andy McNab and also finished it. A great read over the last week.

By now it was lunch time so a quick sandwich before a trip to the Siesia Supermarket. It is surprising full of the normal basic requirements. The prices appear to be very similar to say Ballina. I suspect there is some subsidisation to have the prices very close to the same.The communities here seem to have some pride in the towns and there is not the debris around that can be seen in other indigenous areas around the country. There is very little in the way of lawns due to the lack of rain usually at this time.

I then returned to the campground and brought in the washing and did a few little jobs. Soon it was dinner time. I was invited to join my South Australian neighbours for dinner but opted to cook my own then had a nice fruit salad desert and coffee with them . They have a Kimberley Kamper.
So that was pretty much the day for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bewdy Mate, just keep on having fun! Kevin

Jenny said...

Hi Duncan,

Looks a lovely relaxing time. The dirt looks very red aroud there. You have your campsite very close to the next one.
Cheers