Aug 7, 2010

To the tip and around its area

Today was a catch up on the washing. As the days cause one to perspire a bit there is no chance of wearing shirts for 2 days. I was early at the laundry and claimed one of the washing machines for my use. About 30 minutes later it was ready to hangout under the back of the Karavan.



About half way is the “Croc Tent”. It is a tent location that has lots of information and lots of memorabilia as well as a model croc’. A lovely young couple are running it for her parents. Their information is particularly good and very reliable.

So I then set off for the last 15 kms of this fairly rough road. A small creek crossing is involved and would stop any cars other than four wheel drives. It is very stony and the water is about 450 mm deep.


As I approached this creek I noticed a Landcruiser waiting and taking a photo of me crossing. I then continued on to the parking area before walking to the tip. The couple in the Landcruiser arrived and we chatted and introduced ourselves. They are form Lismore, NSW, and know quite a few people I know and we reminisced about one of my work colleagues, Battista Bertolotti, who died a few years ago. Gordon and Pam were great company for a fair part of the day.
 
As we approached the parking area, there is the remnant of a 5 star resort, Pajinka Lodge that was here in past years. The now extinct Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) stopped propping it up with tax payers money. Apparently it was initially built by the Bush Pilots Association, and then it was taken over by indigenous people, but never seemed to make any money, eventually the money dried up. A fire did go through the generating plant and workshop. It is such an eyesore and a terrible and unmanaged sight for our domestic and international tourists. That upper area of the Cape is known as PAJINKA.

We walked along the coast just above the high tide line, climbing over the rocks along the foreshore. As we closed on the tip, we had to climb a little more so as to avoid some rougher terrain.

Finally, we arrived at the famous tip, Cape York. Wow!! What a sight to behold! 

It is an unusual feeling to be there. It is a long way from home and also from a lot of communities. I really felt ecstatic that I had made this location. It was nice to share the experience with Gordon and Pam. We savoured the location for quite a while. The change in the ocean from one side to the other is amazing. To the east the ocean was rough and stirred by the regular strong wind, while to the west the water was almost calm. The current between the tip and the little islands just to the north, York and Eborac, was most noticeable. The islands are only between 700 and 900 metres offshore with the latter hosting a lighthouse. 

From the tip there are numerous islands visible in most directions. Some are inhabited while others are not. There are about 238 islands in this area with some not much bigger than a football field.

As we departed the tip, the crowds were starting to appear. They are from everywhere at least by the number plates displayed on the vehicles. We chatted with various people and we all shared our stories of where we have been which is most interesting. We arrived in the car park where I discovered my rear canopy glass protector had been removed. Some nice person felt they needed it more than me. Those people are everywhere unfortunately.

I left there to go to the Somerset Homestead ruins. This was here the Jardine family attempted to tame the wild north. They lived in the area for a long time and finally they decided it was all a big job. They really did open up the area. Sadly, the homestead burnt down and only a few pieces are visible to show where the homestead was. There are some recovered cannons beside a memorial to the Jardine family. I followed a real four wheel drive track that leads me down to a vantage point to view Albany Island. It is just off the coast. I returned back past the ruins and proceeded to Somerset Beach.

At the Beach is a shelter shed. Nearby are the graves of the original Jardine family and some others which include some Japanese pearl divers. In the same general area is the well that supplied the water for the homestead. There were a lot of people both visiting and camping in this location.

My next destination was to Punsand Bay resort. It has a beautiful sandy beach compared to the stonier beach here at Loyalty. The facilities there were reasonable with a restaurant and an above ground swimming pool. The remainder is of a lesser standard than Loyalty. I had a snack there and a drink.

I departed for the “Croc Tent” where I bought another polo shirt. While there I had a lovely chat with the young couple that run it. 

My track home was into Bamaga then to the port town of Seisia. There is very little in either town although the basic services appear to be available. The wharf is busy with tourist traffic along with the barges that service the islands.

Soon I returned to the camp ground. My first task was to bring in the washing that was all dry and put it away. Then it started to shower and has done so for several hours. Not much rain but it was made worse by the wind blowing it around. 

So I had to listen to the Wallabies lose to the All Blacks for the 9th consecutive time! During this time I cooked a steak and vegetables washed down with a glass and a half of red. 

So that was the day I went to complete my dream of visiting the tip of Australia at Cape York.

No comments: