Aug 13, 2010

To Weipa

Today was a relative easy day as far a s travel is concerned. Several hundred kilometres from Bramwell Junction Roadhouse to Weipa.

The road was really good with only a few short patches of corrugations. The really good corrugations will start for me on Monday from Archer River to Laura. Not to worry that is Monday.

Anyway a very uneventful trip. I stopped to check all the vehicles at Moreton Telegraph Station and ended in chatting to a fellow from Melbourne who is on a tour group I spoke to yesterday at Fruit Bat Falls.

I moved off again for semmingly only a short distance to the turn off to Batavia Downs. This is a short cut to the Weipa Road and it was also in very good condition allowing me to travel at speeds of up to 90 km/hour.

Before too long I was entering Weipa but had to slow as the the only traffic lights on Cape York Peninsula were red. It is to safely allow both cars and mine traffic to pass. The Mine traffic passes at right angles to the smaller vehicles the chance of accidents is high so that is the reason for the lights.

Soon after I arrived at the campground and booked in for 3 nights. I found a nice shady spot with both power and water. Before long I was set up. It was lunch time, too.

After lunch I walked the 500 metres to the shopping centre which includes Woolworths and a bunch of other shops. I found a cafe that makes reasonable cappucinos. I enjoyed a nice mug of it and chatted with the owner for a short time.

Then back to the Karavan and did some washing that seemed to dry almost as soon as I had put it on the line.

Later, near sunset, I joined 2 couples from Gympie that i met on the ferry to Thursday Island and sat and chatted a nd watched the sun set. It is the first sunset I have seenup here as at Loyalty Beach the clouds blocked it every day.

Then it was time for dinner and a red wine. So that was the day to Weipa.



No comments: