Aug 24, 2010

To Atherton

Up at a reasonable hour this morning and commenced to pack up the Karavan. My destination has been Atherton.

Before I started to pack up, I heard this noise outside and discovered 2 hot air balloons drifting overhead. What a wonderful sight over the campground!

As I packed up, I invited a German family to have a look at the Karavan. They and their 2 children are in a campervan. They were amazed with the room and facilities. They watched me pack up. While packing up I managed to inflict an injury to my left eye. It happened when I was rolling the shower curtain. I have no idea how I did it but I know it is sore and uncomfortable. Later in the morning I visited a pharmacy and the pharmacist had a look and advised me to use some drops and if it is not better in the next day to see a doctor.

On the way from the campground, I heard this explosive sound. Thinking I had blown a tyre I slowly rolled to a stop. Luckily, there were no blown tyres. I searched for a short time and found the pressure hose from the turbocharger to the intercooler had blown off. Luckily I was in almost dust free conditions and quickly put it back on and tightened it tight. No apparent harm done.

My next stop was the Coffee Works to have a nice muggacino. It is a busy place and even at just after 0900 there were a lot of people there.

After there it was off to the Pharmacy, I mentioned earlier, then to the Mobil fuel station to refuel. The price is more the same as around Ballina and is much better than up north.

The next location I stopped at was the Mareeba Heritage Museum  and Tourist Centre. It has only one paid employee and about 60 volunteers. So many of these places are run by the volunteers otherwise there would be a lot of historic items and stories lost.

This museum covers all the various ages of the community from when the aborigines roamed the area to current times. I had quite a long chat with a retired Italian born boiler maker/welder who became a farmer about 30 years ago. He spends a lot of time there and is dedicated and has the knowledge.

There are many historic items that I remember such as various farm implements, black smith tools and phones, just to name a few. The now ended tobacco industry is about to be unveilled. It was the biggest growing area in the country. However, there have been numerous rural industries running in the area along with various types of mining.

The next museum, only a few kilometres away, is Becks Military Museum. Beck's Museum is the biggest privately owned collection of war machines, planes and equipment in Queensland. Aircraft such as a Canberra bomber, Airacobra and Dakota are some there. The vehicles include a Matilda tank, blitz trucks and some motor bikes. A wide range of engines, radial and in line cyclinders as well as some turbines. It is a labour of love for for the owner and his families.

Next I arrived at the Rocky Creek War Memorial. The Memorial Park is situated on the site of the 2/2 Australian General Hospital laundry and medical stores site at Rocky Creek adjoining the Kennedy Highway near Tolga on the Atherton Tableland. The park has been chosen as the appropriate location due to the cultural, spiritual, historical and sentimental value to the local community. Several Army Divisions camped on the Atherton Tablelands during 1942-45. Approximately 60,000 Australian soldiers were treated for war related conditions at these hospitals, by a caring and efficient staff of approximately 2,000. Many were rehabilitated at the adjoining 2/1 Convalescence Depot. The complex was recognised as the largest military hospital in the Southern Hemisphere.

After spending some time at the Rocky Creek Memorial Park, I drove a little further to the Peanut Place. There is a wonderful display of the various combinations of flavours attached to the peanuts. These peanuts are all locally grown. It was another very yummy place to visit.

Finally, I drove through Atherton CBD to the Big 4 Woodlands Caravan Park. Very nice park and everything appears to be clean and tidy. I will use this as a base for the next 7 days. I have already met another couple from Lismore and they know the couple I met at the tip of Cape York.

No comments: