Aug 29, 2010

A visit to Yungaburra and its surrounds.

A drizzly morning arrived so there was no urgency to go bike riding, in fact no ride at all.

I said farewell to the, former and current, Gunnedah contingent who were going to Cardwell for a few days. I most likely will catch Paul and Robyn again next weekend.
My first stop was for a muggacino at the Gallery 5 in Atherton. It felt a little cool but it was mainly due to drizzle and a breeze so I did not stay long outside for coffee. Then I did the short drive to Yungaburra.  The markets are quite large and obviously attract a lot of people. An amazinig array of items. There was nothing that took my fancy.

Next, I drove on to Lake Barrine which is very pretty. On the way there, I passed John and Jo from Cairns with their Karavan. I had a short chat on the UHF radio with them. Lake Barrine has attracted many visitors especially to the historic tea house. There were a lot of people around waiting to go on the cruise in one of two boats.

Lake Eacham is another of the lakes that have been formed by volcanic action a long time ago. It is well set up but without the teahouse. A walking trail around it is well defined. It was not hard to see fish and turtles in the very clear water.

After visiting the Lakes I went to Malanda and visited the Dairy Centre for a quick look. Quite a good historic display and general information centre.

The next destination was Gallo Dairyland. I had a nice lunch there and enjoyed the atmosphere. I purchased some nice cheeses after I had sampled them. Chocolate was not for me today. As it is close to town I may return to check the chocolate, too. They have excellent meals and very good cappacinos.

As I returned to Atherton, I went to the lookout as the low cloud had lifted and as I expected, the scenery was stunning. Lake Tinaroo, the irrigation dam on the Barron River, showed up in the distance with the mountains further back. The colours of the crops along with the cultivated land created a lovely patch work.

As I drove back to the caravan park, I explored some roads around the town to ensure that I had not missed too much. There is quite a bit of residential development about, some against the hills and the remainder a bit further away. Atherton is a town of around 12,500 people and appears to have most of the infrastructure needed.

The rest of the afternoon was taken up with some reading and relaxing.

1 comment:

Silver Cathy said...

This looks tough. Think I will stay on board "Silver Gull". Hope to sail that far one day. Go Mazda!

Good photos Duncan, glad to see you are looking after yourself. Coffees and cheese. Don't forget the chocolate.