Aug 29, 2010

Sunday on the Tablelands

No photos today.

After getting up at 0100 to watch the Wallabies play the Springboks and lose, I tried to go back to sleep which I did until about 0600. Then I rushed over to the laundry to do my washing that seemed to have accumulated rather quickly. I have found that unless you get in early there is a wait for washing machines.  Anyway, while this was occurring I had my breakfast and tidied in the Karavan. When the washing was done, I had to use the drier as there was rain today. So by about 0900 this was all completed and put away.

As it was raining, I thought I would do a little back tracking to fill in part of the day. I left with the intention of returning to Kuranda and revisited their markets which run every day unlike most other markets. I may have mentioned before that there is the usual run of items found at most other markets such as jewellery and clothing.

I had lunch at a German cafe within the market complex. It was probably quite healthy as there was a lot of vegetables along with a nice cheese/beef sausage and was adequate.

After lunch, I slowly made my way back to Atherton in the drizzle. As I drove back I was thinking how many diverse crops are grown in the area. Possibly growing beside each other are crops such as sugar cane, mangoes, wheat and barley, peanuts  and other legumes, corn, bananas, dairy and beef cattle as well as a large array of tropical fruits. Most of the crops are able to be irrigated. Not many districts could claim the diversity.

It is without doubt a beautiful area. The climate is so mild even if it does become misty/drizzly for a time. There is plentiful water in storage and it appears the area has a reliable rainfall to replenish it. The surrounding scenery is forever interesting with the mountains and colours along with the extensive WW II military history.

The rest of the afternoon was catching up on a little sleep and receiving several phone calls from family and friends. Sunday evening dinner was some left over pasta I cooked up last night.

No comments: