Aug 22, 2010

To Mareeba

This morning I was up and about early preparing for my early departure from Port Douglas. By about 0710 I had everything packed. My priority for this time was a cappucino. So I returned to the cafe near the beach and was among the first there. A chat with the owner who was interested in the Kimberley Karavan. I departed there for Mareeba at 0745.


It took me about 2 hours or just under to arrive in Mareeba. The first part was along the coastal plain then I turned onto the road to Mount Molloy. This is a slow part of the trip due to a great climb up to the tablelands and onto Mareeba.


I arrived at the Granite Gorge campground about 9.50 and within half an hour I had the Karavan set up. I then returned into Mareeba then proceeded to the Mareeba Air Show.


After parking the Bravo, I walked to the viewing area and took in the wonderful scene of warbirds and past and present RAAF aircraft. The biggest standout was the sight of the RAAF Roulettes seven Pilatus PC9 aircraft.


Other aircraft there included T-28 US Navy Trojan, Winjeel, Kittyhawk, Nan Chang, Yak, Harvard, Giles G202, along with a range of private aircraft and several helicopters including the RAAF Rescue helicopter.

I made myself known to the Roulette team as my youngest son, Malcolm, has flown a lot of hours on the PC9 either as an instructor or test pilot. The pilots all remarked that he should be flying with them as he has the ability.

I then met up with great friends, Ian and Kay, from Geelong and fellow Karavan owners. My day was made even better having them share the day. We had lunch together and a cappucino earlier. Ian was taking video footage while Kay and I took photos. We enjoyed the well planned display that included a display of cars and motorbikes.

Mid afternoon saw the end of the air show. Time to say farewll to Ian and Kay as they are heading to Adele's Grove for the Kimberley Karavan national get together while I will look around the Mareeba area for a couple of days.

For me it was back to the campground and settle for the night. 

No comments: