Aug 13, 2010

From near the Tip to Bramwell Junction

This morning it was farewell to Loyalty Beach and especially to the Cape York/Bamaga area. During the early part of last night it rained quite heavily leaving pools of water around everywhere. It made the shade cloth floor damp to put away.

When I woke up early, the stars were visible and it looked like it would be a fine day. Almost as soon as I needed to pack up outdoor things, the rain returned. So I walked around the outside of the Karavan with just shorts on and thongs. It felt humid so I was perspiring quite well and the temperature at 0700 was about 29 degrees.

Eventually almost everything was stowed away and all that was left to do was lower the Karavan top and roll up the bag awning. I hopped into the Karavan and dried off with a towel. At this time the rain had stopped so I put a shirt on and then my boots. As soon as I went outside again, down came the rain. So I was really wet by now. Anyway the last bits were done and I hooked up the Bravo and was ready to go. A wash of my hands to remove the red mud and a quick good bye to John and Maria who had become friendly during their stay and also the Toowoomba group who are also friendly.

The rain was quite steady by now and I wondered if I really would progress far. It continued to rain to the Jardine Ferry. Over I went on what must be the most expensive ferry in Australia for the shortest distance. Just to remind you, it was a week ago that I arrived and had to pay $99.00 that included free camping north of the Jardine River and the ferry crossings. AS I boarded there were a large number of motor cyclists crossing, too. Their cost was $33.00 with the same conditions.

Off the ferry and away. Heading down to Fruit Bat Falls. I arrived about 90 minutes later. I parked the vehicles and spoke briefly to a driver of a coach before going to the Falls. They are really nice to see and most of the coach passengers were swimming. I was strangely still feeling cool from having put on a damp shirt so I did not swim. I spent some time admiring the falls and even saw a plant that catches insects. I am not sure of the name of it.

Then I returned to the Overland Telegraph Track to go to the Elliot/Twin Falls. There was a hold uop as the river had risen during the night. Some people who went in yesterday and camped overnight had just managed to get back across the river. They all had taken in water to the vehicles interior. I watched several high lifted vehicles go through and even they were getting wet. So, I did not attempt the crossing and as a result have not been able to visit these Falls.

It was still raining and has on and off all the way down to my stop off for the day, Bramwell Junction Roadhouse. It is very pleasant here and the staff are helpful and happy. So I have stopped only about 200 kms from Weipa. I had already driven about 220 kms for the day.

After I has set up another couple from Dandenong, near Melbourne, parked near me. They were very friendly and I discovered they know Dave Besson from the Peugeot Club of Australia. Garry and Evelyn were good company for the evening.

Thankfully, the road has been really in good condition. Some parts have been graded since I came up a week ago and the crews are working on the road now. There is massive lines of red gravel alongside the road waiting for the grader to come and spread. As I travelled along, I had my first encounter, up this way, with a 3 trailer side tipping gravel road train. It is an unwritten rule that all smaller vehicles give way to the road trains so over the side of the road I went. Luckily there was a gentle slope to get onto.

It is wonderful to see the work the Cook Council are putting into the roads. My thought is that in not too many years it should be easily possible to bring any car up here but even now most larger family cars would not have too much problem with care.

The historic Overland Telegraph Track will always remain a challenge to those that want to attempt it. It is not for me especially when you see the damaged vehicles that arrive at campgrounds. Numerous suspension failures, alternator burn outs from water along with body and structural damage. This is not my way of having a nice trip, repairing busted vehicles. I had enough of that on the farm doing extreme tracks so that is not my idea of fun anymore.

There are a few people who probably should not be allowed in the area especially those that bring unleashed pig dogs into a campground and they eventually attack smaller dogs. This occurred in the campground I was in. The people were told to leave and no refund. Then there are the hoon types that rip tear everywhere creating dust and noise unnecessarily. As well as drive at you with camper trailers at very high speed and do not slow down. Thankfully all those people are in the minority by far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks great up there - will get there one day -stay away from them crocodillys -Cath