Aug 4, 2010

To Coen

This morning was pack up and farewell to Cooktown. Do not think because it is a small town that you will get to see it all in a few hours. One needs to have a few days at this lovely little town.

Last night after I had posted my blog, I went in to get a cask of anti oxidant red grape juice, Shiraz Merlot. Purely for the good of my health! As I drove in to purchase the cask, because you are not allowed to get them before 6.30 pm and only 1 allowed, I came to the only roundabout and saw smoke ahead. So I drove ahead and here was a vehicle a light. Speaking to the bottle shop person, he told me it was not an uncommon occurrence in that area of town in which a lot of aboriginals live.

Any way after, I packed up this morning; I drove into the Fishermans Wharf area to the Restaurant 1770. I had decided I deserved a nice breakfast which is very rare for me. I had eggs Benedict with ham and 2 muggacinos. It is the best coffee in town.

Then I set off to refuel the Bravo after having travelled from Port Douglas via the Bloomfield track and driving around the area. Then I set off for my trip up to Cape York eventually.

I drove out from Cooktown to Lakeland. When I arrived there, there was a Kimberley Karavan there from the Gold Coast. I chatted to Max and Sue and their friends. They are somewhere in front of me. 

Lakeland appears to be a grain and cattle area. However, the area does not look to be very well off. It appears some projects may have failed, e.g., centre pivot irrigation system that appears to not have been used for a long time along with decrepit machinery. A lot of bos indicus cattle around as they seem to survive in this area.

I drove along varying road conditions towards Laura. I passed through this town but will check it out on my return trip. The next stop was for lunch at Hann River Roadhouse. There is not much more there. A few people coming and going while i was there. 

Then away I went again. The road conditions change almost as quick as the blink of an eye. There are occasional sealed portions to allow safe passing. The roads are very changeable with some bits excellent while other bits are not good, It is either corrugated or loose. My average speed is only about 60 km/hour.

The next stop was at Musgrave Roadhouse for a Weiss bar and a rest from the road. Chatted to a couple from New Zealand who live near Auckland. They recognised the Karavan from Port Douglas although I did not get to meet them there.

The next and final stretch was to Coen. It is a reasonable sized town with a few good facilities. The “Sexchange“ Pub is unique. It is correctly known as the Exchange Hotel. A quaint pub that is common in the remote areas of Queensland.

So tonight, I am camped beside the Coen River and about 3 kms from Coen. There are about 50 travellers here. Some are very friendly while others are not so.

Surprisingly, I have phone and internet coverage. I am almost sure that may not occur again until I reach the top of Australia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodonya Duncan - Slim, Morgs and myself had a great time in Coen. We stayed at the unofficial caravan park which is a donation only place.

I loved that whole area and wish you a safe trip. How's the Kimberly handling it all?

Cheers,
Baf

Prue said...

Think my photos of the gardens here in Victoria, Canada are better than yours.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.