Aug 25, 2010

Around Ravenshoe

This morning I was up bright and early not only to get a washing machine but also because the night had been cool. After some weeks in the warm weather, 24/7, suddenly cooler weather feels cold.

I set the washing machine away at 0600 and it was finished by 0630. In between I had a chat on Skype with newly married Margo. Unfortunately she was married while I was up at  Cape York. Soon after the washing was on the line.

Next I was feeling warm enough to go for a bike ride. I did well until a cable broke leaving the rear cassette in the highest gear but I still had use of the chain ring at the front. So I peddled around town until 0830 when the bike shop opened. I left it with them and caught a taxi back to the caravan park.

After a shower, I was ready to have my first muggacino just down the road. After that I set off for Ravenshoe. This was where my Father spent some time during World War II. He returned from the Middle East to this area where they all underwent tropical training. During this time there were more than 100,000 troops stationed across the Tablelands.

There is very little left to show where they had been. However, there are lots of signs beside the road alerting of the location of past unit locations. Some of the area is developed into small acreage blocks. In one area I found the remnants of ablution blocks, an area where the flagpoles where located, a tank trap and a few other items that resembled fireplaces made from local rocks. I found one of the swimming holes on the Millstream that was documented as to where the troops relaxed. The countryside is quite poor and covered in light timber. I imagine that the area had been cleared for the troops and it has now recovered with this timber.

After looking around the camp area, I had lunch in Ravenshoe. Then I set out for more sight seeing. Not far from the town is the Ravenshoe wind farm. There are quite a number of turbines set up and apparently working. They are easily seen in the area and are congregated close together.

Not too far along I visited the Milla Milla falls. There are very popular with us tourists. There were a large number of French girls there and one took my photo. I had a nice chat with them and they are out here for about 3 months just touring. The falls are presented very nicely and are very tidy.

After the falls, I drove along through Malanda then eventually into Atherton. I checked on my bike to find it was ready to go again. So I paid the bill. I left the bike as I can not carry it on the Bravo. I returned to the caravan park and then brought the washing in. A quick drink and I walked back into town which was only about 2 kms. The I rode the bike back.

So that has been my day. The highlight was locating where my Father had been.





1 comment:

Julia kelly said...

Glad to see the sun is still shining in your part of Aus Duncan, we're getting washed away in Moree....