Sep 4, 2010

Charters Towers Day 2

This morning I was up early as usual in preparation to go for a cycle ride. About 0600 I looked out to see if the sun was coming up to find that it was showering. As I have had several falls with damp roads, I decided against riding. The only option left was for me to do the accumulated washing. 

As I was about early, I managed to among the first to claim a washing machine. It completed its job by around 0700. Being a damp morning, I decided that the drier was the only way to go. So about 0800, the drier was complete and I folded all the clothes and had them put away by about 0815.

Soon after that operation, I said farewell to Paul and Robyn. They were aiming to get to Emerald by late in the afternoon. I am certain I will not be attempting that distance but they have commitments late into next week. They were not altogether happy with their caravan mainly for its configuration and they plan to sell it for something else that they have seen while away on their trip.

Later in the morning I went into the CBD and tried another coffee shop. The muggacino was a big improvement on yesterday. Unfortunately, there were some disabled people there and one was very loud with a high pitched voice. Thankfully, they left soon after I arrived. I felt sorry for that woman but it was hard on the ears. After that interlude, I went looking for a book shop as my current book is getting towards the end. Not much luck finding anything appealing but I am now aware of a second hand bookshop that I will visit on Monday.

Please use the highlighted words for more description.


My first historical visit for the day was to the Miner’s cottage. It is a mini museum owned by a fellow that came as a surveyor to the town and decided to stay many years ago. He has collected most of the items in the museum. Many are capable of reigniting memories of my childhood while other items are from the mining that happened in the area. There was a volunteer, Tony, who is a very knowledgeable person and he told me he was 82. He is a retired civil engineer but is motivated by the mining and his day at the museum. There are an amazing number of articles relating to local mining that include many photos. There are also many smaller items that were used in assaying the gold production. I had not seen a lot of them before. My time there ended with a musical rendition on a ‘squeeze box’ played by Tony. He obviously is one of the drawcards to the museum with his personality and knowledge.

I returned back to the Karavan for lunch and a read.

About 1345 I drove out to the Venus Gold Battery. It is reputed to be the largest surviving battery relic in Australia. A trip there certainly gives an insight to the process the gold ore goes through until in the end it comes out the pure product. A trip into the Gold Battery is initially getting a briefing by the tour guide. Then you are seated to watch a hologram which portrays the founder of the Venus Gold Battery, the Honourable E.H.T Plant, speaking as if he is actually there. It is quite eerie but very interesting. He mentioned the process and the benefit his battery had over the others in the area a water supply that was reliable. A guided walk through this battery is very enlightening for one that has very little knowledge of the whole process. Seeing the various pieces of machinery that crush or grind the ore is one thing but then how the crushed ore is processed right through to going to the Assaying shed. 

A scary item I was made aware of is the use of mercury to get the gold. It was used for a long time then another extremely dangerous chemical, Cyanide, was used later. Apparently, both processes are still used but with so much more safety. About 100 years ago, there was no safety and miners absorbed both mercury vapour and cyanide not only into their bodies but also took it home on their clothes to their families with the consequence that the average age of people working and living around the mines was about 39 years old. 

Another issue that remains is that the tailings drained into pits which then allowed any liquid to drain into the creek. That liquid contained mercury that never disappears. So the creek it drains into is contaminated and will be forever. The Venus Gold Battery is owned by the Queensland Government and it has owned it for most of the last century. It will be an everlasting museum as to clean up the site and waterway would cost many millions of Dollars to rehabilitate. Another worrying item told to me is that the current lights that we are meant to use in our homes contain mercury! If they explode in your presence they may create health issues in more ways than one.

After a day of becoming a little better informed about mining, I went to Henry’s Cafe and Restaurant where I had another muggacino which was really good. So there are some good cafes in Charters Towers. Then back to the Karavan after a bit of a drive around and discovered the historic Civic Club which in the past was a gentleman’s club.

So ended an interesting day.

1 comment:

Julia kelly said...

Hi Duncan, sounds like a pleasant interlude at Charter's Towers. I've spent most of my time indoors here in Qatar - it was 47C here today, the searing heat is unbelievable, thank God for air conditioning!