Sep 25, 2010

Mullaley Public School 125 year get together

A wonderful clear crisp morning dawned at Chris and Jacqui's farm. I had breakfast with them and their youngest son, Max. Chris was off to Premer to umpire on one of the grounds for the limited over competition. Jacqui was making cup cakes for the Mullaley School function. Max was on his motor bike for a short time.

I departed there for Mullaley at around 0830. My first call in was at the Post Office and chatted with Sue for a while. Then I moved down to the School.

The first person I spoke to was one of my former near neighbours, Brett, who was looking after the Rural Fire Service vehicle. There were several others there I knew. Then I walked into the school grounds.

There were familiar faces all over the place and most I had not seen since I left the area in 1996. The school had many displays including photos and work of days gone by. My sons featured in quite a few photos. 

As I walked around, I kept renewing contact with a lot of people among them were the two previous owners of the school buses that Andrew and Malcolm travelled on. Also, I came across numerous of their former primary school classmates. A lot of them have one on and excelled in their lives. One young man is a pilot for Careflight and is awaiting his posting while his sister works for the St. George Bank.

There was the launch of the book covering the time since the last major production in 1985. It was launched by Adam Marshall, the very young mayor of Gunnedah Council. He will go places. His father and his uncle and aunts went to that school. The local State member launched the cook book.

Peter Elith opening the capsule
Later in the day the centenary capsule was exhumed and the contents were opened and inspected by many. Andrew had work in the centenary time capsule that I had not seen and it was the first piece to be opened to the world. The capsule was opened by the principal of 1985, Peter Elith.

Gunnedah Pipe Band
The children of the school performed many items in the shed, that has been erected by the current government's spending spree. The children performed very well. As well as the children the Gunnedah Pipe Band performed during the day and was led by the mother of some of the children, Heather. She has played quite recently in Scotland.

When the official opening of the function was about to start there suddenly appeared from the south, a RAAF Beech King Air 350. This was organised by Malcolm to fly over the school several times, on a training flight. Malcolm was very disappointed as his aircraft was unserviceable and he was personally unable to do the flight. It was welcomed by a description of Malcolm's history to date. It was received by the assembled 480 people with much admiration. I was obviously very proud of the activity.

The day was so wonderful just catching up with those that I rarely see. The weather was as good as one could wish for. It made for a very memorable day.

I left Mullaley and drove the short distance to Gunnedah for the overnight stop. Tomorrow, I will catch up with some others I do not see very often before moving on to my sister near Tamworth. Then it is up to Tenterfield and home on Tuesday.

I guess I will not have much more to add, except for any unusual items I may add. So this will be almost my last post. When I get home I will add the figures, such as distance, fuel usage and consumption and any other relevant information.

Section of the gathering

John Kennedy, Bet & Richard Craig

Louis Hathway, Anthony Martin, James Murphy

Max Gavel


Max Tomlinson


Kay Benham & Chris Treagus
Hopefully, you have enjoyed the story of my time on this trip.

No comments: