Sep 16, 2010

St. George day 2

This morning dawned overcast, quite cool and a sprinkle of rain. I was slow to leave the Karavan.

When I did leave St. George, I drove out to the Beardmore Dam. Last time I visited it, in 2008, it was almost empty. It was nice to see such a large volume of water with it discharging into the Balonne River. It will ensure a full range of iirigated crops for the district.


I returned to the town by way of the heavy vehicle bypass road, one that I had not been on. As it was a little later in the morning it was coffee time at "Stevie-Jean's" coffee shop. They make a good coffee. Later in the day, I had lunch at the same place.

After the coffee, I did a bit of a walk around the CBD and took a few photos. These photos included the Jack Taylor weir that was on television earlier in the year during the major flood here. It was hard to realise that flood water was bypassing where I had been standing. The location of the weir is where Sir Thomas Mitchell crossed the Balonne River and named the area "St. George Bridge".

Later in the day, I went to Riversands Winery. It really worth a visit here and I have been about 3 or 4 times before. They are a business heavily involved in the community.

No comments: