Sep 5, 2010

Charters Towers Day 3

This morning I was awake early and had my breakfast even though I had been awake for several hours earlier. I had watched the Wallabies beat the South African Springboks 41 to 39. A close game that Australia almost let slip away as they were leading 31 to 13 at halftime.

I went for a ride around the perimeter of the town taking in the sights and smells of the cattle saleyards and the rodeo grounds. I had seen some of the streets as I drove around but I found a few more by cycling. I found a lovely lookout established by Rotary and it overlooks the one of several retirement complexes in the town.

After returning to the Caravan Park I had a shower in readiness for a massage from Jennifer. She works fulltime during the week but does jobs as required in the Caravan Park. She is the best massage therapist I have had for quite a while.

After the massage, I rushed into town to see the Ambulance Museum as it only opens on Sunday for a few hours. It has a great collection of items, some I was familiar with from my Rescue days. A lot of other items date back a long time. A very popular exhibition by the number of people there.

I followed that visit with a nice roast lunch at a nice cafe in the main street. It reminded me that I had not had a roast for some time. I had 2 cappuccinos as they do not do mugs. They were very good. It is a very popular location as nearly every table was occupied. It was a nice Fathers Day lunch to me!

Following lunch, I drove out to the Burdekin Weir which is the water supply for the town. It has lovely parks, one upstream from the weir and the other right at the weir. The weir is very visible with a large flow of water going over it. Apparently, this has drought proofed the town.

On my return to town I stopped at a site where the Americans used to barrel sight aircraft. The aircraft were tied onto the concrete slab and the various guns adjusted for accuracy.

Finally, I returned to the Caravan Park and did a few small maintenance jobs, such as on a chair and minimise a water drip of the filter.

So a nice day.

No comments: